Your Library :: Children's Area
Get your sunglasses and sunscreen ready…
The SUMMER READING PROGRAM is BACK!!
Don’t let your reading skills take a vacation this summer. Gain knowledge, increase your book collection and get a backpack full of goodies to boot!
- The program runs June 15th - August 15th, and is for ages 0-18. We also have a separate program for adults. Reading is important and fun at any age!
- Sign up at the library or online at sandiego.readingbydesign.org starting June 15
- Read 10 books (or 10 hours for teens) and come in the library to claim your backpack full of prizes! Prizes include museum passes, science-to-go packs, coupons for food at your favorite restaurants, and more.
- AND for every 10 books or hours you read, you can pick a book to keep!
- You'll also be entered into a raffle for a chance to win an iPad.
- Reading comics/graphic novels, listening to audiobooks, and reading together all count.
- We also have incredible programs over the summer for all ages, including an Escape Room for Teens/Tweens, a juggling show, free afternoon STEM programs, free art classes, a wild animal show, a musical, movie nights, a Simple & Healthy Snacks cooking class for teens, and brand new Chinese language storytimes. A full list of our programs is at lajollalibrary.org/events
Click here to download the document.
There is no better time to start a habit of lifelong learning than in childhood. Children are born to discover new information at an extremely rapid rate and it is the responsibility of caregivers and the library to provide these children with a near limitless supply of resources. Not only do they have access to many hundreds of thousands of books throughout the entire City of San Diego library system but they can also open up a wealth of electronic resources via the library’s website.
Live Homework Help!
Parents and students check it out: Live Homework Help!
Having trouble with a new math concept or writing a term paper? Check out our new service where students can chat with tutors 7-days a week and get LIVE homework help. They can also submit their papers and with 24-hours they get personal feedback.
Requirement: San Diego Public Library Card. Get yours at the La Jolla Library if you don't already have one.
Click here to check it out!
Preschool StoryTime & Crafts
Every Thursday at 10:30am, you'll find Ms. Teri or Ms. Charlotte reading to Preschoolers and giving them an opportunity to stretch their vocabulary and creative minds. No signup necessary.
We have two “Early Learning” computers for preschoolers and another set just for elementary grades that entertain while they educate. For students looking to learn more, the La Jolla / Riford library not only has literary classics, non-fiction titles about California missions and Native American Indian tribes, and science fair experiments, but we also have electronic databases that provide decades of resource material on an infinite number of subjects.
Besides books we have a selection of DVD’s, children’s books on CD including book/CD combos so children can read along as the book is read aloud. We have four educational computers children can use to play games that teach them about colors, math, and even geography. There are a multitude of different programs available that are both educational and entertaining.
There are two study rooms that can each seat up to four students and can be checked out for one hour at the youth services desk.
Then, as students grow and mature, they can eventually make use of our College Room which features books and computers solely on the topic of college applications, admissions and testing.